Immigration101 – Immigration Lawyer, Plano, Texas


Sanjay K. Biswas, Immigration Lawyer, Plano, Texas
Sanjay K. Biswas, Immigration Lawyer, Plano, Texas
We don’t have to tell you about the controversies regarding immigration law in the United States, or situations involving illegal and legal immigration in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Every hour of every day has news reports discussing Executive Orders, court challenges or proposed legislation on immigration. You’ve talked about them with co-workers and friends. If you have a relative overseas that wishes to immigrate to the United States, you need to know what the best legal course of action is. Or if you are already a resident in North or North Central Texas, how do you legitimize your status and become a full citizen?

In a press release dated May 8, 2017 after signing a bill banning sanctuary cities in Texas, Governor Greg Abbott said, “As Governor, my top priority is public safety, and this bill furthers that objective by keeping dangerous criminals off our streets. It’s inexcusable to release individuals from jail that have been charged with heinous crimes like sexual assault against minors, domestic violence and robbery.” Living in the great State of Texas is a goal and a privilege. Immigrants require sound legal advice to achieve that goal the right way.

First some facts:
  • According to the U.S. Census Bureau the foreign-born share of Texas’ population rose from 9.0% in 1990, to 13.9% in 2000, to 16.4% in 2010. As of 2010 Texas was home to 4,142,031 immigrants, which is roughly double the combined population of Dallas and Fort Worth.
  • Certainly not all Latino or Hispanic people are immigrants. The Tejanos have lived in our State since the early 1700s. As of 2012, 10 million Latinos living in Texas, comprising 38.2% of the population.
  • According to the Texas Public Policy Institute, About 60 percent of immigrants in Texas come from Mexico, and if Central and South America are included, the number is closer to two-thirds, with Asia being the second most popular origin
  • While it is much more difficult to document, illegal/unauthorized immigrants, according to a 2014 report by the Pew Hispanic Center there are about 1.65 million such immigrants living on Texas.
What is the difference between a Legal and Illegal Alien?

­Under U.S. law there are two types of visas: non-immigrant and immigrant.

Non-immigrant visas allow foreigners to travel, study or work temporarily in the U.S.

Immigrant visas allow for a path to immigrate to the U.S. permanently.

The Department of Homeland Security estimates that 40 percent of illegal immigrants are here due to overstaying the duration of their temporary visa or have done something that violated their status.

What Should You Do?

If a question of immigration touches your life, it is important to have a plan in place. At the Law Office of Sanjay K. Biswas, we pride ourselves in our knowledge of Immigration Law. We will be at your side in ensuring that any citizenship questions are dealt with honestly and fairly.

Perhaps you already have a family lawyer who handled your home purchase or drew up your will. But has that lawyer worked on immigration cases before? Equally important, has your current lawyer been successful with the case she or he has handled? We are proud to have over twenty years’ experience assisting immigrants and their families with their legal needs.

  • Asylum

    Asylum may be granted to people who are already in the United States and are unable or unwilling to return their home country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution  

  • Business Immigration

    The issue of Business Immigration involves a multitude of laws and procedures involving Federal and State legislation. Past disputes between businesses and regulatory agencies have involved such areas as: Green Card application  

  • Citizenship Applications

    If you are a U.S. permanent or conditional resident — that is, someone with a green card — the basic rule is that you cannot apply for U.S. citizenship (or apply to  

  • VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) Visa

    VAWA is a means for battered and abused spouses (and certain parents and children) to obtain a green card without the cooperation of the U.S. citizen or permanent resident relative who is  

  • Spousal Immigration

    If you have met your spouse overseas, or met in the United States and then married outside of our country, there are procedures that must be followed in order to smoothly bring  

  • Removal Defense

    If you or someone you know in the Dallas-Fort Worth area is facing a deportation order, call us immediately. It is possible that the deportation order was made in error, or there  

  • Permanent Residency

    United States lawful permanent residency, informally known as a green card, is the immigration status of a person authorized to live and work in the United States of America permanently. Green cards  

  • Overseas Engagement K1-A Application

    When you meet your soon-to-be life partner in marriage overseas, we are pleased to assist you with the often complicated procedures required to bring a fiance(e) into the United States to live  

  • Nonimmigrant Visas

    Whether the purpose is tourist pleasure or looking at business/employment opportunities in the United States or elsewhere, it is important to know whether a visa is required and if so what rules  

  • Naturalization

    There are five ways of obtaining US citizenship, a process termed Naturalization. Our office can advise you and prepare the paperwork for any of them. Here is a brief description of each.  

  • Immigrant Visas

    There are a host of issues and possible complications regarding the application process for an Immigration Visa. Matters which are taken into consideration include such factors as: The applicant’s country of origin  

  • I-140 Immigrant Petition for an Alien Worker

    Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for an Alien Worker is a form submitted to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) by a prospective employer to petition an alien to work in  

Menu   1-972-866-5879